Tuesday, November 20, 2018

next

we passed the last gas station
an hour ago.
we should have filled up,
but we were in the middle
of an argument
about gun laws
and global warming,
then went off into a deep
discussion about the best
way to make turkey gravy.
but I had a good feeling about
this.
she was soul mate material.
she was the one
I would take home to mother.
i end up pulling over
and let her drive
for awhile. my trust
and affection is enormous for her.
I start counting cacti
along the road, fast slithery
things moving
from rock to rock.
I squint my eyes in the
blaze of a desert sun.
I had broken my ray bans
when I fell asleep
in the back seat
and then rolled over on them,
snapping the frame in two.
we're almost on empty
I tell her, my girlfriend
that I met in vegas ten hours
ago.
really? she says, staring
at the amber glow on
the dashboard.
we should have gassed up
when we had the chance.
how much water do we have
I ask her, thinking of
survival. no clues, she says.
I ask her her name.
she says V, pointing at
blue green tattoo on her neck.
I'm Joe, I tell
her. boring she says.
I stare at her. at the lizard
tattoo that goes down
her arm and then disappears
under her torn pink t-shirt.
the word next in blood
red ink on her arm.
her lips are a shade of black.
I wish we had some drugs
she says, turning the dial
of the radio finding nothing
but country. or jack daniels.
I find a warm coke in the back
seat and pop it open,
sending fizz everywhere.
what the hell she says.
now i'm all sticky.
I take a sip and hand it to
her, she takes a long gulp,
then the car dies. it chugs and
stutters until it stalls.
she guides it into the sand, slapping her
hands against the steering wheel.
that's it, she says.
what? I ask her.
i'm done.
i'm leaving you.
okay, I tell her. it's been
a pleasure. can I have your number.
no,she says.
she grabs her one bag from the
back seat and starts walking,
thumb out.
I watch her as she walks, her long
shadow jerky on the side
of the road. the spikes in her
jet black hair pointing towards
the pale blue sky.
a truck comes up and stops
to let her in, then she's gone
just like that. the love of
my life.

No comments: