Saturday, March 23, 2013

the after glow

lying there in bed
we both sigh and say
almost at the same time,
whew, that was good.
our heads are against the
pillows with beads of sweat
on our foreheads.
she lights up her
electronic cigarette,
hands me one and says,
I hate to admit it but
sometimes when we make
love, I drift a little,
I think about different things.
oh, really you say. like
what. well, don't get
mad, but I think about
Julio, that landscaper
who does our lawn.
sometimes I see him
looking into the windows.
with his big brown eyes.
you mean the one with all
the tattoos? no, she
says, not that one,
the one with the earrings,
and the broad shoulders.
that's Pablo. oh, she says.
well, I think about him.
but sometimes i'll
think about shopping
too, or what I might
do later with mindy.
what about you, does your
mind wander when we're
having sex. you put
your cigarette down and
fold your arms across
your chest, pulling
up the sheet. yeah, I
guess so. like what?
she says. do you think
about beyonce? or someone
like that. nah, you say.
maybe someone I saw
at the grocery store
in the produce department.
but sometimes i'll think
about baseball, or food.
like just now,
I was wondering if we
had anymore of that easter
ham left. i'd love
to make a sandwich for
lunch. yeah, she says,
there's some in there,
and some scalloped potatoes
too. well, i'm getting
up you tell her.
there's a game on in
a little while. what
time are you and mindy
going shopping?
in a bit, in a bit.
I just want to lie here
for a little while longer
in the after glow.

No comments: