Saturday, July 16, 2011

the sounds of silence

i was singing in
the shower the other
day, doing elvis,
love me tender,
and hound dog, but
occasionally breaking
into some james
brown, i feel good,
then b.b. king,
the thrill is gone,
and singing it all
in pretty good
form, with a little
air guitar going
on with my back
scrubber, when i hear
a loud knock at
the front door.
it's my neighbor,
that nosy glenda
and her stupid poodle,
Felicity, with
the police,
i crack open the
door and say, what?
what's up? thinking
that something
horrible has happened
out in the street,
and the cop says,
is everything okay
in there buddy?
your window was open
and it sounded like
someone was being
murdered. and i
say, no, that was
just me singing,
and the cop says, well,
try to keep it down,
you might be breaking
some sort of noise
ordinance or something.
i shake my head
and give glenda
the evil eye before
closing the door.
i go back up
to the shower,
turn the water on,
and climb back in.
i grab the soap,
and begin to softly
sing, hello darkness
my old friend, i've
come to talk with
you again....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." I think I heard the entire album as many times as I had Art 1 class at Regina High School. The nun who taught the class loved the album. So did I.
Sharon