Sunday, March 17, 2024

getting my first facial

my friend
Jelly Bean, gives me a free
gift coupon
for a facial.
which makes me look
deeply
into the mirror to see
what's wrong.
do i really look like a gargoyle
now?
oh, no, no, she says.
it's nothing like that, 
you look great, you
look young
for your age,
but this will make
you look even better.
oh, i say. okay.
so they lay me down
and start scrubbing my
face with
a lava rock,
heated from a charcoal
grill.
i know now how the islanders
on Pompeii felt
when Vesuvius exploded.
next comes
more heat,
a steamy wet towel 
that they pick up with tongs
to strap across
my face from
ear to ear.
then some sort of wax,
then a painful peel.
my hands
grip the side of the gurney,
as tears
roll down my face.
there's four women talking
in Taiwanese
standing at the table,
i catch the words 'baby man' 
as their little hands get busy
on my face.
then a cold cream is applied.
green like 
the split pea soup my mother
used to make.
an hour later
they scrape that off, hardened
like a cake,
then they wash what's left of
my skin away.
hosing me down
with an antiseptic spray.
wobbly, i stand up and take
a look in the mirror.
i look exactly the same
except with no eyebrows
and maybe a little older
from the stress.

No comments: