Sunday, March 21, 2021

a drive in the country

as i drive out west
towards winchester, 
i squirm in my seat and wince.
i really need to pee
before going any further.
sixteen ounces of coffee
is ready to leave the building.
so i stop at a gas station
selling fresh fruits and vegetables,
and venison, assorted
road kill on ice.
an old woman hands me
a key to the bathroom
that's attached
to a two by four.
she looks at me suspiciously,
giving me what i call
the evil eye.
i hardly want to touch it,
but i have to go badly.
it's a horror movie in there.
grey tile.
a checkered floor, with a pool
of what looks like
blood and vinegar puddled
about.
my eyes water,
the urinal is half off the wall.
a seatless toilet
in a beat up stall.
with names and phone numbers
etched in ink,
with crude art work of
oversized anatomy parts.
there is a description
of what they'll
do for you when you call.
i recognize one of the numbers.
an old girlfriend,
a cheerleader in high school.
captain, in fact.
Lullabelle.
i guess she finally graduated
and left her job selling pretzels
at the mall.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This one had me laughing out loud!!!