Wednesday, May 23, 2018

unplug those lights

I buy a string of Chinese
lanterns for the back yard.
I plug them in
and let the lights glow.
red, blue, orange, yellow.
green.
it's a pretty sight to see
against the back drop
of dark woods, the full
array of trees.
I get a note in
the mail from cruella
the condo board president,
former treasurer
and v.p., one term comptroller.
unplug your lights
the letter reads.
or else. according to section
eight part B, line 12, you are
in violation of having fun
and being frivolous.
i light the letter with a match
and watch it burn, then
wait. I wait. another
letter comes.
then another. they fine
me. they threaten me.
they wait outside my door
with signs and placards.
megaphones. turn off those
lights, they chant.
they wait for me to leave
in the morning, but I
don't go out.
I sit in the yard and
stare at the lights.
those wonderful
the Chinese lanterns.

No comments: