Sunday, June 27, 2010

welcome

it was not an
easy decision
moving in to
the retirement
home, well, i
should rephrase
that and say the over
fifty five community
condos with gated
fences to keep the young
out and the old
from escaping, but my
reluctance quickly
ended when i
smelled brownies
baking down the
hall, and the hot
smell of chicken
and dumplings
wafting up the elevator
shaft causing my stomach
to rumble with hunger.
i caught a
glimpse of my new
neighbor thelma
in her pink bathrobe
and matching fuzzy
slippers dropping off
a superb bottle of pinot
noir when i was carrying
in my boxes, and before
i plugged in my t.v.
there was a sheetcake
from norma, orginally
from arizona, with
a sweet script of
icing telling me,
welcome to your new home,
i live in two nineteen
if you need anything.

No comments: