Wednesday, May 16, 2018

what the problem is

my new personal yogi,
guru and wise man,
jimmy,
says that my problem
is a spiritual
one.
he's turned over a new
leaf. in fact
he's turned over a tree
full of leaves
since I've known him.
but I think he's on
to something now.
it's not money, or love,
or work,
or relationships, he
says,
that's keeping you
blue, in the dumps,
it's where you are
in your spiritual life,
he says.
all of man's troubles
are the result of a
spiritual one.
who's first in your world?
who or what means most to you?
straighten that out
with the man up there
and you're home free
my brother. surrender
is the answer.
I look up to the rafters
when he points with his fork
full of rib eye steak and says
the man up there.
I see a tiny
brown sparrow looking down,
there's a small
worm in his mouth.
jimmy raises his cold bottle
of Budweiser and waits
for me to clink
his bottle with mine.
I do.
surrender man, he says
again. let it all go.
could you pass me the ketchup?

No comments: