Wednesday, October 8, 2014

betty's baby

women have been having
babies for years,
as long as you can
remember, but it always
surprises you when
someone you know is
having one. especially
if they aren't married
and they are close
to sixty years old.
betty, you exclaim,
seeing her in
the whole foods market
buying a gourmet chicken,
how are you? ummm,
what's going on here?
what happened?
you gently poke her
large extended belly.
boy or a girl?
she smiles broadly,
I'm great. just great.
don't mean to be rude,
betty dear, but are
you having yourself
a baby, or have you been
eating too many donuts?
she leans in and says,
shhh, then whispers,
it's a pillow. I
have a pillow from my
couch stuck under my dress.
you can't believe the
treatment I get
when I wear this
maternity dress. parking
spots, people get up
on the metro and give
me their seats. it's
wonderful. I'm being
treated like a human
being for the first time
in a long time. I don't
even have to stand in
line anymore, I just
start gasping for air,
and I'm moved to the front.
no one wants to see a
baby splashing out onto
the floor, so I'm in
and out of stores in
a jiffy.
sweet, you say sweet.
hey, let's go out for drinks
one night and catch up.
but ditch the pillow okay.
no way, she says.
I'm going to be with
child for a long long
time.

No comments: