Sunday, December 19, 2010

morning services

on your
way to church,
you slip
and fall,
you break
your ankle
and lie
there in
the snow
as others pass
you by, walking
around your
crumbled body,
they are in
a hurry in
their sunday
best, they want
the front pews,
the choice
seats for
mass, for
communion, they
want to be
where the
action is and
to hear the
message clearly.
i put my hand
out for help,
to be lifted
up, but i'm
ignored. they
pretend to not
see me.
finally a woman
puts a dollar
into my
outstretched
hand, she tells
me that she wishes
she could help,
but she's late,
another man
gives me some
change and tells
me i should get
a hat to put
the money in.
an old woman
comes over
and gives me
a half of sandwich
and says god
bless you mister.
i lie there
in the snow
the whole day.
collecting money,
gathering food
from strangers.
it's sunday.
it's cold. i'm
lying in the snow
between church
and home.

1 comment:

lgsbowen said...

The parishoners at my church would not only have picked you up and tended to your injury, they would have given you some coffee and a donut.