Friday, June 4, 2010

adrift

it was a small
leak, a hose
worn, come loose
where it connected
from the pipe
to the washer,
but the puddle
grew and soaked
the rug, the clothes,
the boxes full
of things i don't
remember. all of
it was wet though,
and ruined.
the water rose
and when i stepped
into the room
it was ankle deep,
then higher, before
i knew it, before
i could find
the cut off valve
it was up to my
waist, then i
was swimming.
it pushed me
out the window in
a rush, with a wave
that took me
to the stream,
that flushed
me down the river,
and finally swept
me to the bay which
put me into
the atlantic
ocean, adrift,
which is
where i am now.
but i am not alone,
there are others
here who also had
small leaks in
their lives that
led to this.
we wave to one
another, but there
isn't much to say.

No comments: