Thursday, July 2, 2015

barking

I think about a new dog.
then think about
picking up after him
in the rain, the heat,
snow, sleet. him wandering
about for an hour
looking for the one
perfect spot, as i beg
him to go. I think about
the plastic bag,
the bending over, then
think no. maybe i'm
not ready quite yet
for the barking and chewing
of shoes and furniture.
of fleas and shedding,
of vet bills, of his short
life, then dying.
I think about his barking,
I may have just mentioned that.
I think about a new dog,
for a moment or two,
but quickly let it pass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss my Cosa so very much. 2 months she's been gone, but I continue to discover her fur in unexpected places and times. I've decided it may be time to adopt the cute little rescue my friend is fostering - a real mutt - 1 yr old male, border collie/aussie/dachshund mix. There's some irony there.