Tuesday, November 24, 2015

eating out


what do you want me to bring
for dinner
I ask her
pondering the holiday
and staring at frozen
butter ball
turkeys in the grocery
store.
there are so many.
white and goose
pimpled
under factory sealed
wrap. I plop one into
my cart
making the front wheel
of the cart go wobbly.
i'm in the grocery store
right now,
I tell her,
with two packages of
gravy
in my hand. how about a pie
or two?
I push the broken cart
around, stopping to touch
boxes of stuffing,
shaking them.
pick me up a cook book
she says.
I've never cooked dinner
before,
how about you? I've heated
things up before,
I tell her.
maybe we can go online
and figure this out.
it can't be that hard.
i'll get three or
four potatoes
to start. I think
we need a turkey baster
maybe for something.
I'll get one
of those too.
how do you feel about
Chinese, she asks.

No comments: