Monday, May 12, 2014

i need some space

out of the blue
she blurts out,
I think I need some
space. she leaves out
the word honey on
the end of her sentence,
so you know
something is up.
huh, you say. oh,
sorry, am I too
close to you?
the chairs here are
a little tight.
you slide your
chair away
from hers. no, she
says. space, I need
space in our
relationship.
really? you say.
seeing each other
twice a week is
too much? twice
a week? really?
okay. well, how
about we just try
Saturday night.
one night a week?
will that be better?
no, she says.
I need space, real
space. I need
distance to think
things over.
to think about what,
you ask, scratching
your head. work?
life? us, she says,
shaking her head.
I need some space
and some time to think
about us, where this
relationship is going.
where do you want it
to go, you ask.
marriage, moving in
together?
can't you just do
it now? think about
us now. put on your
thinking cap and think
about us now.
look, you stupid idiot,
I'm trying to break up
with you in a nice
and gentle way, but
you are to block
headed to understand.
I need space away
from you! get it?
wait a minute. are you
saying you don't love
me anymore, and that
you want to break
up? yes, yes, yes.
oh, okay, I get it now.
why didn't you just
say that. I've been
feeling the same
way, but didn't know
how to say it either.
we can still have lunch
together though, right?

No comments: