Monday, January 11, 2016

the teacher i loved

I saw my favorite teacher
in the store once
when I was eleven
or twelve. she was
buying milk, bread,
placing assorted
things in her cart.
a man was with her. he
was smoking
and looking at a magazine.
I had no idea
that teachers would
drink milk too.
she seemed awkwardly
shy
to see me,
saying my full name,
and asking
how I was.
she knew how I was.
she saw me three hours
ago
in her classroom.
I shrugged, I said
I had to go,
which seemed to relieve her
of some sort of hidden pain.
she waved at me,
see you in school tomorrow,
she said.
don't forget to do
your reading.
I couldn't get out of
there fast enough, but
took a look
back at the man.
he was wearing a light blue suit
and had a hat on.
like he was
trying to be someone
that he wasn't.
I wondered what she was
doing with
the likes of him and
never forgave her for that.

No comments: