Monday, March 20, 2023

seedless grapes on sale, true story

if you spend
over twenty-five dollars,
the woman
from Sri Lanka
says to me as she rings
up my groceries,
your red seedless grapes
will be ninety-nine cents
per pound.,
not three dollars and
ninety-nine cents
per pound.
you're only up to
twenty-three dollars
and seventy-eight cents.
she shows me the coupon
in the newspaper,
she's circled it with
the pen she keeps behind
her ear.
she explains it to me a few
times more,
the language barrier is not
helping.
the line behind me grows
longer.
there's grumbling,
cursing under their
breath. babies are crying.
i see a small grey haired
woman
taking out a pair of scissors
from her purse.
you need to buy something
for two dollars,
maybe a candy bar, the clerk says,
pointing at the rack
of dozens of candy bars.
hmmm. i say. looking
around. nah, i'm doing this
whole carnivore thing now.
i can't eat sugar.
hold on. let me go get
a can of tuna. is that on
sale too, how much is
one can?
light tuna in water, can you
get the store manager to look
that up?

No comments: