Saturday, May 21, 2022

the cherry blossoms

i stumble
into the protest on the mall
while taking
pictures
of the cherry blossoms
when a 
a woman, with a crew cut,
and muscles, well, a few women
attack
me.
hitting me on the head
with their
hashtag me too
movement placards
and oversized handbags.
i go to the ground, they start
kicking me.
punching
and yelling at me.
hey, hey
what have i done?
please stop.
you're a man, they say.
we know
what you've been doing
and thinking.
how dare you come
down here
while we're marching for
equal rights
and reparations,
i point to the cherry blossom
trees.
i'm taking pictures.
they're beautiful,
pretty, like all of
you gals.
i cringe as i absorb a kick
from a doc martin
boot.
no, no,
you have me all wrong.
i like all you chicks, really.
then the lights go out.

No comments: