Tuesday, October 6, 2009

very near the end

I'm bleeding from the cut on
my chin from shaving
with a new razor, her razor.
I dab it, run some cold
water on it, stick a piece
of kleenex into the cut,
but it won't stop. It's crimson
against the washcloth,
dripping into the white
sink. I run the water
to swirl it away, but the
chin keeps bleeding, it's
not a cut, but a wound,
a deep wound. I may need
a stitch or two to sew it up.
Blood is everywhere. My
girlfriend Sally knocks
on the bathroom door,
then opens it... what the
hell are you doing in here,
she asks. I pull the cloth away
from my chin to show her.
Oh my, look at you, you're
bleeding, better have that
looked at. Hurry up I need
to use the bathroom. I'm late
as it is. Hey, there's some blood
on the floor, could you mop
that up, I don't want to
step on it in my bare feet.
She rolls her eyes, and
brushes her hair out while
pacing the bedroom in her
underwear. But I feel faint.
I'm not used to seeing so
much blood and I suddenly
feel weak, like I can't stand up.
I grab the sink and slip to
the floor, blacking out. My
head bangs against the tub.
My body is blocking the door
when I come to, and I hear
Sally yelling at me, trying
to get it open, but my weight
won't let it budge. Jesus, what
are you doing in there? Are
you lying down, get up, I told
you I was late. How many times
do I have to tell you that? I see
her face in the slight opening
of the door, I see her bare
shoulder pushing against it
with all her strength. But I don't
move and I suddenly realize
the nature of our relationship.

No comments: