Friday, June 24, 2016

red white and blue

I saw a long line the other
day down at the hospital
so I went over and asked
what was going on.
what's up with the line.
I asked a man sitting on
a fold out lawn chair,
wearing a pair of red white
and blue underpants.
he was sipping on
a Budweiser. we're here for
the early sign up at the burn
clinic, what with the fourth
of july right around
the corner, it's best to
sign up early, he said.
gots to be prepared.
last year I nearly put an eye
out when my son threw a
bottle at me with a firecracker
in it. it's still a little blurry,
that's why I wear this patch.
at his feet was a box of fireworks
and matches.
rockets and roman candles.
ace bandages and Vaseline.
want a sparkler, he said,
stroking his long beard
with three shortened fingers.
I bought them for the kids,
but they want cherry bombs
this year, they're tired of
sparklers.
they grow up so fast.

No comments: