Friday, July 31, 2015

the big white hat

from my window, nine floors
up, I could see her at the pool
in a big white hat,
several books on
the small table, one in
her hands, one more in her lap.
her legs were long.
she looked elegant
and quiet. I imagined
smart too.
maybe she was a school
teacher, or a scientist
working on global warming.
maybe she was
a waitress at I hop.
I wouldn't mind that at all.
sometimes she'd walk over
to the pool
and dip a foot into the water,
letting the water curl
around her ankle,
but never going in.
i wanted to yell out the window
hey I like your hat,
but that might draw the attention
of everyone else
wearing hats at the pool,
not just women, but men too.
so i kept quiet and thought
about how our lives
would progress together
if we ever did actually meet.

No comments: