Thursday, May 9, 2013

friend me, please

you log onto your
facebook
account, such as it
is, after months
of neglect.
the cobwebs
are everywhere,
dust balls
roll beneath
the old pictures
and lame postings
about some picnic
you were
forced to go to
last easter
and stand
for a group picture.
you've lost friends
as well.
they've given up
on you, whoever
they were.
a few relatives
too have disappeared
from your meager
friend count.
you haven't offically
hit the like
button for anything
for over a year,
and that
historic moment
was for jelly donuts,
which everyone
but your mother
ignored. she liked
it too, but
sympathetically.
you observe
some of your more active
friends. they seem
so happy, with so
many things to do,
events to attend.
they have a thousand
friends, many
of them close.
they are sharing laughs
and hugs,
cyber kisses and words
of encouragement.
some are holding up fish
that they caught,
others are eating pancakes
with big smiles
on their syrupy faces.
they show their cookies
that they baked
and their dogs
jumping for a Frisbee.
I feel sad when I
look at their profiles.
they are having
so much fun without me.
I rub my hands by the
screen and sigh, warming
myself with
their happiness.

No comments: