Wednesday, December 21, 2016

the good woman

he starts off
by saying, when I was indigent,
I couldn't get
insurance, or buy a car.
in fact I gave my old
car to my sister.
look at my ankle. I have gout.
a soap opera
is on tv, there is a cat
on top
of the tv.
I went to a good school,
he says,
moving strands of hair
across his bald head.
i'm an engineer
by trade, but when the market
fell,
I was out of work, i'm
still out of work.
I've haven't worked since 2002.
I have a good woman though,
he says.
she works everyday,
she leaves early and comes
home late.
I don't know why she's good
to me, he says.
but she is.
i'm trying to lose weight.
it's hard.
I take a walk everyday.
I go up to the 7-11. and back.
i'm going in a few minutes,
if I can get my shoes on.
is there anything I can get you?

No comments: