Friday, September 4, 2009

The Girl Scout

I answer the door and see
this junior mint of a girl standing

there bright and smart, full of delight
in her green dress. Give me four

boxes of thin mints I tell her
and she politely tells me how much

and who to write the check to.
I glance at her in her sash and ribbons,

her hair just right, her eyes shining
with tomorrow, happy with the day

she is in. I want to keep her like that,
forever young and beautiful,

untouched by trouble and life, but
I know I can't. No one can. I savor

the moment though and inhale
the beauty that can exist in a world

gone mad. She takes the cookies from
the parent who walks with her

and hands them to me. Thank you,
she says and they go down the steps

to the next house. I take the cookies
inside and pour a cold glass of milk.

A small happiness is a good thing.

1 comment:

Sara Leigh said...

Exactly! Brings to mind a friend's daughters, who occasionally visit our stitching group. And reminds me of Jane and precisely how I felt when she was that age.