Saturday, July 23, 2016

the night shift

it made my mother nervous
when I drove her to work
at sunny brooke tavern
down indian head highway
in godforsaken southern Maryland.
she worked the four o'clock
shift, closing at one or
two in the morning.
it was a seedy, smokey
joint where you were frisked
before going in.
she worked behind the bar
in a pair of hot pants,
the uniform of the day.
her hair up in a black
tall bun, held together
with hair spray and pins.
on a low stage a country band
played.
at home were her seven
children, of varying ages,
from diapers to college.
slow down, she'd say, you're
driving too fast,
or hurry up, I'm going
to be late.
I can't lose my job.
I remember the sun coming
through the car window,
a yellow glow angled
onto my mother. her hands
in her lap, on top of her
large white purse
with gold clasps. her sequined vest.
she was excited and sad
at the same time
to be working, freshly divorced,
making minimum wage and tips,
fending off the men,
some of which
would drive her home on
the back of motorcycles, or
in their trucks, hoping
against hope, she'd give in.

No comments: