Saturday, July 23, 2016

go buy some ice cream

a woman
approaches me in
the parking lot, she's mad,
her hands
are on her hips,
her face is pink
the color
of merlot.
you cut me off back there,
she says,
you didn't even look
or care
that I was coming.
I was doing forty, the speed
limit,
but you people have no
manners,
no sense of the road,
do you?
I have no clue what she's
talking about,
I looked at my one turn,
saw nothing,
then turned.
i'm sorry, I said, but
you have me mistaken for
someone else.
no, it was you. I know it
was you. I hope you're
happy about getting
to the store
before me.
I want to say or do the right
thing, but she persists
in the hot sun,
standing in the black lot,
confronting me.
a part of me wants
to curse her,
and tell her to leave me
alone, to go buy a gallon
of butter brickle ice cream
and have a nice day.
but it ends
before I can say anything
i'll regret for a week or more.
she's tired of yelling and being
mad,
so wobbles into the store
staring at her list
crumpled in her hand.