Thursday, March 17, 2016

small pleasures

I could barely contain my joy
when pulling up into the driveway,
arriving home from work.
tired and sore.
a cardboard package was squeezed
between the front door
and the glass storm.
special delivery, overnight,
urgent, express mail,
the wrapping read.
I ran inside to open the box,
taking a steak knife out
of my cutlery drawer (I like that word)
to cut the thick tape to view
my long awaited order,
two days of pacing, tapping
my feet, staring out the window
for the brown truck to pull up.
listening for the siren of it's
diesel engine.
there it was finally.
three four pound bags of
eucalyptus mint Epsom salts.
quickly I ran upstairs and hit
the hot water in the tub,
carefully pouring out two
cups of the white salts
into the steamy heat. as I did so,
I realized that
the small pleasure in life
have somehow won over the larger ones.
and strangely
i'm okay with that.

No comments: