Thursday, December 3, 2009

a new book

i need a new book,
thick and rich,
one that i can lose
myself in, something
that grabs me, that i
won't throw across
the room when the plot
goes awry and the characters
sag with cliche and empty
souls. i want it to be
real, to savor each line,
each word, to wince when
it nears the end. i
want it to last, but
not reach the final page.
i want that book, the one
i'll read again and again,
and never lend, and know
exactly where it is, on
which shelf, close
to my heart and hand.

1 comment:

lgsbowen said...

Have you read Cold Mountain? (The movie does not count as it does not compare to the book).

How about Smilla's Sense of Snow? (The book is profound, never saw the movie.)

Or The Gentleness of Wolves?

I would love to know if you've read these and what you thought. I think they are books that can take you entirely out of yourself into different worlds and you can really see and feel what is happening. Remarkable books.