Sunday, September 27, 2009

Salmon

Let me tell you about salmon.
They all want to cook you salmon.

It's easy, it's cheap, it's a way out.
When what I really want is steak.

Or a roasted chicken for God's sake.
Or even pasta with a meat sauce.

I need some onions, potatoes,
a salad and bread. It's that easy.

A bottle of wine. Skip the dessert.
I feel like a bear straddling a stream

grabbing a fat, thrashing pink
fleshed salmon with my extended

claws. Atlantic salmon, farm raised
and colored, Cherry salmon, sockeye,

chinook, smoked salmon, Alaskan,
poached, grilled, wild and free salmon,

these fish are everywhere.
One after another with no end in sight.

Swimming crazily upstream. Enough
with the salmon. Please. Throw on some

red meat, singe the air with the smell
of steak. I'm growing gills, fins, the scales

are falling off in handfuls. Or how about
pizza, that'll work too.

No comments: