Wednesday, April 25, 2018

the end of life

I see the end of my life.
I see my body
stretched out
in a white coffin.
the flowers are everywhere.
I can smell them
and know instantly what life
isn't, what life is.
I see people crying.
I see the hall is full
of mourners.
I wonder where they were
when I was alive.
I wonder about the suit
they have placed me in.
how my lifeless body
swims in the black fabric.
but it doesn't matter.
it's what I will wear
until I dissolve into
what I was before this life.
the bones I leave
will turn to chalk.
nothing into nothing.
my teeth. the cross
around my neck.
a ring on my hand
left as proof of love
once given.
I feel the absence
of worry.
the relief of no tomorrows.
my eyes are closed, but I see
and know everything.
I see the end of my life.
I see the beginning.

No comments: