Tuesday, December 12, 2017

one last meal

i can't decide on my last meal
so now i need to narrow down
my final dinner
before they light me up
in the big chair.
steak, i think at first.
a big rib eye with all the trimmings.
mushroom gravy.
mashed potatoes.
or maybe a seafood feast.
lobster, crab legs.
Chilean sea bass crusted
in Cajun spices.
or maybe i can go out
on a banquet of pies.
apple, cherry, pumpkin,
blueberry. glasses of whole
milk. why go with two per
cent now?
the other prisoners down
the hall lean out
from their cells as best
they can and shout out
suggestions. crawfish,
one says. pigs knuckles
another says. don't forget
cornbread and catfish.
i shake my head. oh brother.
what did i commit my crimes
so far down south.
there's a large chorus
of inmates in cell block H
chanting Grits, don't forget
grits.
a guard comes by and raps
his club against my bars.
chitlins is all he says,
and winks. chitlins.

No comments: