Friday, November 17, 2017

the whole pie

my waitress, tina,
sees me come into the diner
and winks.
be with you in a minute hon,
she says.
she's wearing pink
today.
a black apron, her hair
up, a pen
stuck behind her ear.
a little too much rouge,
a little heavy on the red
lipstick.
but why not?
I can see smudges on her
nice teeth.
she holds out her pad
and says,
the usual?
I think for minute,
perusing the laminated
menu.
turning it over and over
again.
yeah, I say.
the usual.
one coffee, one slice
of apple
pie, she says, writing
it down on her pad.
leave the pot on the table
I tell her. a fresh pot
if you could and
cream and sugar. oh,
and the pie, the whole
pie.
the whole pie?
yup, I tell her.
rough day darling? she asks.
you don't want to know
I tell her. you don't want
to know.

No comments: