Sunday, November 5, 2017

guys buying jewelry

I see my friend jimmy
at the mall one day.
he's shopping for a ring for
his new
girl friend, betty jean.
hey, he says. help me
pick something out in this
jewelry store. it's over
there next to orange Julius.
what do you know about
white gold,
or the four C's?
clarity, color, carat,
I can't remember the other one.
but
i'm leaning towards zirconia.
I have no idea what you're
talking about, I tell
him, but let's take a
look see.
she's got giant fingers,
he tells me, enormous knuckles
from cracking them all the time,
and a stack of big black hair.
so I need a big ring. like
an Elizabeth Taylor
type ring.
we look at the glass cases
stuffed with
shiny rings and necklaces.
rubies, emeralds, topaz.
I want
something that shouts out
at you when you see it,
but affordable, i'm in between
jobs right now. but
something that when it catches
your eye in the light
it burns
your retinas. maybe a gemstone,
for her birthday, I tell him.
or a little turtle with stones
in them with a stick pin to wear
on her blouse.
yeah those are nice.
I bought one for my ex wife once,
but she never wore it.
she said she didn't want
to accidentally lose it.
what month was betty jean born in?
I don't know. good question.
I guess I could text her.
you really love this girl,
I tell him, don't you?
yeah, she's okay. tomorrow's
our anniversary. three weeks.

No comments: