Sunday, October 8, 2017

the war goes on

during the war
we had to turn off the lights
in case
the planes
came over to bomb us, he
says, looking up at the sky
as if the zeros might
still be up there.
I yawn.
I stretch my arms over my
head, having heard
this story a thousands times
before.
rations.
collecting aluminum cans
for the cause.
war bonds. even women had
to work, he says,
can you believe that?
there was this one time
when the japs
had us pinned down and,
and,
but he can't remember what
happened next.
instead he pulls up shirt
and shows me
where a bullet went
in then went out through
his back.
an inch lower and
you wouldn't be here buddy boy,
he says. so thank your lucky
stars hotshot.
we better get going, I tell him.
it's almost five o'clock.
god forbid we miss the sunset
special.
i'm hungry.
denny's?
of course he says,
holding out a coupon, i'll
drive. i'm not riding
in that Honda of yours.

No comments: