Tuesday, October 10, 2017

sales men

this jive talking
salesman won't leave me alone
as I walk through the gravel lot
hoping to use the bathroom inside
the dealership.
he looks at me like a dog
looks at a pork chop in a frying pan,
licking his lips.
he wants to put me into
a new Lincoln
today. what can I do to
get you to drive this car
off the lot today,
he says, tapping the hood
of a long black car.
but I was just passing through.
he smiles, showing me his pearly whites.
tell me how I can get you into
a brand new car?
I dunno. I tell him.
my wife would kill me if
I came home with a new car.
we're not really car people
anyway.
we're walkers, bikers.
hitch hikers. we worry about
the ecology.
one of those, huh he says,
I love the whales too. Good God,
I mean what are we doing to those
baby seals? I nearly cry every time
I look at those videos.
he flicks his cigarette
into the street. do you have
a trade in? he asks. pull
it around back and we'll
have jimmy take a look see.
see what kind of deal we can
make for you.
I don't have a car, I tell him.
how old at you, if you don't
mind me asking, he says.
i'd guess 39, maybe 40 at
most, because good God you're
a handsome fellow. I
bet you can't keep the women
off of you. he winks
and puts his arm around me,
steering me into the show room.
sit over there, that's my desk.
can i get you anything, a coke,
coffee, i think one of the women
brought in some green tea? nothing?
i shake my head.
i'll be right back, I just want
to talk with my manager about the deals
we have on.
see all the balloons? yeah,
that means we're almost giving cars
away today, but it's the last
day, so let me see, be right back.
where's the bathroom I yell to him.

No comments: