Thursday, July 6, 2017

southern belle

the war is still
on for her.
the north against the south.
we will rise
again, she says,
fluttering her lashes
and turning her head
up to a grey
sky.
as god is my witness,
the south shall
rise again.
she dabs at her eyes
as if there might be tears.
oh brother, I say to her.
more tea, she asks.
fanning herself
with a large feather.
you're nuts, aren't you,
I tell her,
shaking my head.
maybe we can go look for
more civil war buttons
or spent shells
on the old battlefield.
those poor boys, she
says sighing, as if they
were till out there
lying in the mud
and blood. oh, those
poor soldiers. giving their
young lives for Dixie.
okay, that's it, i'm
out of here.
I don't think this relationship
is going to work,
but thanks for the tea.
oh, please stay, have I
offended thee? stay and let's
sing. let's sing
a song together.
do you know swanee river?

No comments: