Monday, September 19, 2016

this is why we drink

is there anything else
I can help you with today,
the woman
on the phone says to me
after being on
hold for thirty seven minutes.
the third
call today after being
transferred,
then disconnected.
I have my nineteen digit
account number
in front of me, almost
memorized.
wait, I say.
you haven't helped me yet.
you've done nothing.
what's your name,
she says.
your social, your address?
if English is one of your
languages, press one,
if not, press two.
then tap in your account number.
what is your mother's maiden
name, the name
of your first pet?
I just gave you all of that
information,
can I put you on hold, she
says? your call is very
important to us.
no.
please, I just need to talk
to someone about...
enjoy the music, she says.
all lines are busy
please wait.

No comments: