Sunday, September 4, 2016

embellishment

when I read to my
son before he went to sleep.
it was always
cat in the hat,
or Horton hears a who,
or a variety of other common
kid's books.
after a while,
he became bored with the same old
stories,
so I had to change it up.
one day
I began to make up lines,
the cat in the hat
gets caught
by the animal rescue team
and we have
to break him out before
they put him to sleep.
the purple dinosaur Barney
having to go to rehab
after drinking too much moonshine.
he liked those stories so much
better.
santa getting stuck in a chimney
because of all the pie
he'd been eating
all night.
sometimes batman couldn't leave
the house in time
once seeing the bat sign
in the sky because
he had a digestive
issue after eating some bad
Mexican food.
he loved these stories.
I hope he forgives me.

No comments: