Monday, July 25, 2016

the iron curtain

the doctor's assistant,
from the eastern block,
with a little diamond
stuck to the outside
of her nose,
tells me to blow
into the tube,
seeing how high I can make
the red line rise.
testing my lung capacity.
you can do better, she says,
after I blow once.
go again, she says,
stamping her foot.
I do. it's a weaker blow.
once more she says,
harder, do it, now.
so I do.
it's the worst of the three
tries.
she sighs and writes down my highest
number.
sit, she say, I am going to
give you a shot
now, which arm?
either I say. roll up your sleeve.
the needle goes in.
I hardly feel it. she has
a tender touch
despite her steely ways.
I tell her that.
I tell her that I've never
received an injection with such
tenderness. i see a tear
roll out of one
of her blue eyes. go she says,
pointing at the door.
go. go have your
lungs x-rayed. fourth floor.

No comments: