Saturday, July 2, 2016

storming the castle

we're going to storm the castle
my friend
Octavius says to me one morning
as he tightens up his
leather sandals
and lights a torch with
a bic lighter.
we're tired of low wages
and stale bread,
taxes. my thatched hut
is crawling with vermin.
my cable bill is killing me.
come on man, grab a torch
and your good axe and let's go.
what about coffee, did you
have coffee yet?
I was thinking of taking a walk
after I get coffee and a multi-grain
bagel. maybe down
by the lake.
no, we need everyone.
we've had it with this king.
you can get coffee later,
in fact i'll buy you lunch,
if we don't die when they pour
cauldrons of boiling oil
off the towers like they did
last year.
what about the archers?
I still have scars all over
me from the last time
we tried this.
I have Neosporin. put on your
thick sweatshirt that you got
in Nantucket last summer.
no arrows can get through that,
unless of course they use those
pesky flaming arrows.
come on.
okay, okay...let me sharpen my
axe. I just need a quick bowl
of cereal and to walk the dog.
go on ahead, i'll be there. promise.
front door where the moat is?
yup. okay. see you in a few.


No comments: