Friday, July 15, 2016

have you ever been to alaska?

you look like someone
I used to know
the woman says as she cuts
my hair,
gives me a shave
and trims my eye brows.
have you ever been to Alaska,
she says,
as her hands
rub a blue cologne
on top
of my head, then slapping
some gently on my cheeks.
nope, I say, inhaling
the fumes.
I was at the beach last week,
maybe you saw
me there.
maybe she says.
I used to be in the navy,
she tells me.
I hated it.
so I got out.
so now I do this.
she rubs my shoulders,
which surprises me.
that feels good, I tell her.
twisting my neck making
it crackle.
you have strong hands.
I was a machinists mate,
she says.
I like to give customers
a shoulder rub,
like the Asian women do
in the Korean barber shops.
men tip better
when you do that.
well, it's wonderful, I tell
her.
are you sure you've never
been to Alaska? she asks, as
she shakes out
the apron from around my neck.
nope, I tell her handing
her a twenty.
my sister's been there, though,
I tell her.
she took a cruise there once.
she saw some whales.
oh, she says.
I've seen whales too.
do you need change?
no, keep it, I tell her.


No comments: