Wednesday, June 22, 2016

the open marriage

I can't talk right now,
my wife says on the phone,
whispering. my date just walked
into the bar.
oh, I say. does he look like
the picture on his
e harmony profile?
sort of, she says.
shorter and less hair,
but what are you gonna do?
he's holding a bouquet
of flowers from safeway with him.
I laugh. loser.
well. I just wanted to say
that I left dinner
in the fridge
for you. chicken and potatoes,
green beans.
and there's cherry cobbler,
on the shelf in the back.
great she says. thank you.
will you be coming home
tonight?
I see you took your overnight
bag with you.
maybe. you never know
about these first dates.
but i'll text you, if we
decide to get a room.
oh, and don't forget to walk
the dog before you
go to bed, and give him one
treat not two.

No comments: