Thursday, May 5, 2016

the baseball game

I want to share
some of what i'm feeling
with you,
she says,
as I clip my toe nails,
and watch
baseball on tv.
the dog comes over and runs
away with one
that falls onto the rug.
no use chasing him.
I've met someone, she says.
someone I really like
a lot.
actually, he's been
a friend for a long time,
and we
reconnected on facebook.
you don't know him.
I look up from the tv,
and say, what?
did you see what Harper
just did.
my god he's the next
mickey mantle. if he could
just get his emotions
under control.
what? did you say something
about facebook.
I meant to post that cake
I baked the other
day, but forgot.
I said that I met someone
and i'm moving out.
oh, I say. wincing as
harper strikes out and breaks
his bat over
his knee.
you're leaving where. the mall?
no, i'm leaving you,
for someone else.
I stop clipping my nails
and almost turn to her,
but Zimmerman has just hit
a long fly ball
off the left field foul pole.
I get up and let out
a yell.
I look around the room,
but she's gone,
the dog is on the bed chewing
on something.

No comments: