Sunday, May 22, 2016

it's your immune system

it's your immune system,
the clerk
at the vitamin shop
says to you
in a heavy accent.
you sneeze several times,
then blow your nose.
he doesn't say god bless even once.
which you attribute to him
being fearful of offending
his own god, or gods.
he adjusts his turban,
and smooths out the sheer
lavender
sleeves of blouse. he's wearing
white slippers.
you need
vitamins. I can put you on
a plan.
come over here,
and sign up. I need one credit
card, an e mail
address,
and your signature at
the bottom.
I will have you not sneezing
in two weeks, or
seven days, guaranteed.
let's begin with some bee pollen.
he shakes the bottle
showing you the large
amber colored pills
you are to take twice a day.
do you have a truck or car?
he asks,
I have many boxes of pills
for you.
once you finish the paper work,
pull your car up
and I will wheel up your supply
of vitamins.
i'm not sure, I tell him.
I need to think about this.
okay. okay.
you want to be sick then, I
don't understand, but okay.
what if I took off 50 per cent
on your first order?
would you want to be healthy then?

No comments: