Wednesday, March 23, 2016

you talking to me, no

I can't make my neighbors say hello
when I wave to them, greeting them with
words like hi, how are you
tonight. some weather we're having.
I think they might not like me
for some reason.
or maybe they're hard of hearing.
or from another part of the country
where being friendly and normal
are not permitted. they never respond.
whether we're all out shoveling snow,
or in the rain,
or it's a bright sunny day.
I get nothing in return.
sometimes his wife will run
into the house with her groceries
so that she doesn't have to suffer
the pain of my hellos.
it makes me sad. makes me go
into the house and stare into
the mirror trying to figure this
thing out.
they've only lived there two years
though, wall to wall, my yard
against their yard. so maybe things
will change. maybe not.

No comments: