Monday, March 14, 2016

the new dog

the new dog
is not like the old dog.
he doesn't watch tv,
barking at each and every
animal he sees.
rushing the screen
to bite elephants,
whales, birds
and chimpanzees.
he's not at the window
growling
at the sweet old neighbor
as she plants
tulips in her yard,
on her knees.
this dog isn't chewing
holes
in my pockets
where gum or candy, or
a single honey cashew nut
might be,
no. he's more like a dog.
a real dog, dumb
and sleepy, wagging his
tail when I come home.
he not hiding for doing something
he doesn't want me to see.
when in a cage
he's not sliding the bolt
with his nose to get out,
not going through my mail,
or dragging his bag of dried
food to his dish
and pouring. the new
dog is not on my desk
late at night
browsing the web
for other dogs
he'd like to meet. truthfully,
this new dog is boring.

No comments: