Thursday, February 25, 2016

not a member

i don't like to join
anything.
don't even use the word join
around me.
i have never been a member
of the communist party,
or any other
political party,
especially these days.
i have burned my members only
polyester jacket
with snap buttons
on the shoulders.
don't say, can i join
you for coffee
tomorrow,
on Saturday. don't do that.
just say,
meet me for coffee.
i don't want to join hands
and sing
around the campfire.
i have renounced
all my membership cards,
from triple A,
to Costco,
to barnes and noble.
if i belonged to the springfield
country club,
i'd quit that too,
not that they would have
me.
my wallet is full
of membership cards.
every time i buy a slice
of bread
or a light bulb
from wegmans or
walgreens, they want to know
if i'm a member.
giant and safeway,
even balducci's with their
over priced
salad bar
want to see my card.
i renounce them all
from this day forward,
except the card to Regal
Cinema. i like movies.


No comments: