Wednesday, December 30, 2015

his ship has come in

you have to come out on
my boat one day, he says to you,
freshly retired and flush
with money. he's
wearing his new
captains hat
that he bought at the mall.
two anchors crossing one
another, sky blue.
nice hat, you tell him.
I have some work to do on it,
but by next weekend
I think i'll have it ship shape,
so if you want to take a ride,
come on out.
you'll love my boat.
we can fish off it.
it's big, it's fun, it's
fast once you get the sails
up. there's even a bathroom
on board, and a bedroom
in case you need to take
a nap. I can fix us sandwiches
down in the kitchen,
you mean the galley, you
tell him. right he says,
the galley. and the bathroom
is the head.
I know, he says. I have
a book, so I need to learn
the terminology.
but it has sails and an
anchor too. bow, stern,
forward and aft. i'm learning
everything there is to know.
right now it's not in the water
I have someone patching
up a hole in the bottom
when it sank last year, but
once that's done, we're
ready to roll. wear something
nautical. you know how
to swim, right?

No comments: