Wednesday, December 23, 2015

hello, is there a doctor in the house

my doctor, or rather former doctor
Seema Chandra
suggests that I take my
blood pressure
and keep track of it.
we want to get to the bottom
of what's ailing you.
we need to see if there is
a pattern here.
but it's my shoulder, I tell
her, pointing at my shoulder.
see, I can't lift it any
higher than this.
I move my arm up and out to
the side grimacing
from the pain. see, can you see
what i'm talking about.
it's killing me.
perhaps you have white coat
syndrome, and therefore
your blood pressure is reading
a little bit high right now.
she unstraps the Velcro band
from around my arm.
it's getting higher, I tell
her. yoo hoo. my shoulder,
can you look at my shoulder.
that's why i'm here.
I clap my hands together
trying to get her attention.
she stands back staring
at her chart. making notes.
do you smoke, she asks.
do drink a lot. no, I tell her.
but I could use a drink
right now.
any rubbing alcohol you got
will do.

No comments: