Tuesday, December 29, 2015

everyone suddenly got old

you call your old friends
to ask them out to dinner,
people you've known for years.
you hear a chorus of 'I don't know,'
it's kind of late and it's so far to drive,
it might rain, it's windy.
it's cold. I don't drive well in the dark
with these eyes.

what about black ice?
do they have valet parking,
would you mind picking me up?
is it gluten free. i have special
dietary needs now.
is it noisy in there?
I can't go if it's too noisy.

I want to sit at a table, not
a booth, but not near the kitchen,
I can't slide in and out
of a booth anymore, especially
if I have to go to the bathroom
and you know about my knee.

do they have an early bird special?
who else is going, do I know them?
I don't like to meet new people. 
and I can't go if betty is going.
I still hate her. if I have to sit next 
to a republican i'll never forgive you.

what should I wear,
is it casual? if it's not casual
I have nothing to wear.
my cardigan is in the cleaners.
I have to find a sitter for my cats. 
they don't do well 
if i'm gone too long.

do you think we'll be done by nine,
my show comes on at nine,
plus I have to take my pills
at that time. put me down
for a maybe. can i let you
know tomorrow? call me,
don't text.i have to go, someone
is trying to reach me
on the other line.

2 comments:

Di said...

Old people are not Democrats. Change this line to "Democrat" and it would make more sense. You know the old saying --if you are not a Democrat when you are young you have no heart, and if you are not a Republican when you are old, you have no sense. Just trying to keep your poem real. Have a great New Year.

Sara Leigh said...

Ditch those friends! Let's go cut a rug!