Saturday, October 24, 2015

the resume

you hand the man
your resume.
he reads it. taking all
of twenty seconds
and says, that's it?
that's all you've got?
it says here you like to
take afternoon naps.
we work until six here everyday.
there's no time for naps.
you put your arm out
and say, feel that.
I've been working, at real jobs,
not sitting at a desk
shuffling papers all my
life.
we don't have paper
anymore, sir, he says.
I don't know if we can
use a man like you who
has no experience in anything
that I can see.
what about those boxes,
you tell him.
is there anyone here who
can lift them
and put them on that top
shelf?
he looks over his shoulder,
and says no, not really.
we contract that out.
well, i'm here.
I can do that for you.
I see. I see.
well. i'll have to pass
this resume on to my bosses
and we will give you
a call
when we have more boxes.
but before you leave, would
you mind putting them up there?
shove them to the left
if you could. top shelf.

No comments: